[GNC] How to balance correctly a particular transaction which involves debt?

Daniel Fishman quantera at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 10:25:33 EDT 2020

On 9/21/20 5:15 PM, Christopher Lam wrote:
> I wouldn't add an entry into Expenses:shop -- you didn't exactly spend your
> money into this shop.
>
> Spending/lending money:
> Liability:credit card -$50
> Asset:Friend owes me +$50
>
> Recovering funds:
> Asset:Friend owes me -$50
> Asset:Cash or bank +$50

It seems to me that using the

Liability:credit card -$50
Asset:Friend owes me +$50

loses a bit of information, since a credit card statement will list the shop
as the receiver of the money. It seems to me that by omitting  the shop from
being mentioned in any of the entries will make it more difficult to correlate
the credit card statement with an information in gnucash.