[GNC] $0 splits in QIF imported incorrectly, flipping + and - values

Jim DeLaHunt list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Sun Sep 27 17:18:34 EDT 2020

Hello, BWooster:

I think I may see a terminology difference, which might be interfering
with you making your question clear in this forum.

On 2020-09-27 11:41, B Wooster wrote:
> $0 split transactions are not getting imported from QIF correctly.
> Non-zero transactions get imported fine.

In GnuCash terminology, a "split" typically means a "split line" in a
transaction. Each transaction consists of two or more split lines, with
credits and debits which sum to zero. See the Tutorial and Concepts
Guide, 2.9.3. "Simple vs. Split Transactions",
<https://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=4&lang=C&doc=guide>. A
"simple transaction" is a transactions with two splits, e.g. one split
to a chequing account and another split to an account for insurance
expense, presented in the ledger of the chequing account, so that only
the split to the insurance expense account is displayed and the split to
the chequing account is implicit.  A "split transaction" is a
transaction with three or more splits. It cannot be fully displayed with
the split to the chequing account implicit.

When I look at the QIF file example you give, it seems that the S, E,
and $ lines together describe one of what GnuCash would call a "split".
None of these sets of QIF lines have a value of zero. So your file does
not have what GnuCash would call a "$0 split".

In the transaction "PPay Check Incorrect Withdrawal from Savings", the
S, E, and $ lines add up to $0. This corresponds to the $0.00 in the U
and T lines. It appears that you are calling this a "$0 split" or "$0
split transaction". In GnuCash terms, I would call it a correct,
balanced transaction.  Note that none of the S lines mention the
"L[Checking]" account.

In the transaction "PPay Check Correct Deposit to Savings", the S, E,
and $ lines add up to $1,200. This corresponds to the $1,200.00 in the U
and T lines. It appears you are calling this a "non-zero transaction".
In GnuCash terms, I would call it in incorrect, unbalanced transaction —
unless you assume an implicit entry of $1,200.00 to the "L[Checking]"
account. That would make it a balanced transaction.

So, it appears that GnuCash is not importing transactions correctly from
the "L[Checking]" account QIF file if the S, E, and $ lines add up to
$0, so that the implicit entry for the host "L[Checking]" account is zero.

What do you expect to see in the GnuCash register for the Checking
account after importing the  "PPay Check Incorrect Withdrawal from
Savings" transaction? It seems to me that none of the money movements in
this transaction affect the Checking account, so there is no reason for
the transaction to appear in the Checking register.

It seems to me that such transactions should be put into a QIF file for
one of its related accounts. Perhaps it belong in a QIF file for the
"[Savings]" account, where it describes $1,400.00 coming in from
"Paycheck", -$100 going to "MetLife Auto", and -$100 going "Tax:Soc
Sec", with the remaining $1,200 implicitly being added to the
"[Savings]" account balance.

Is it required that these two transactions be in the same QIF file of
the Checking account?  I am guessing that GnuCash's QIF import works
better if they are in separate files, for their corresponding accounts.

Now, I do not use QIF files with GnuCash (for what it's worth, I use OFX
files instead). I am not an expert in GnuCash's handling of QIF files.
But maybe getting everyone clear about the terminology will help. And
maybe my reasoning based on what I see in your examples might shed some
light on what is really going on.

Best regards,
       —Jim DeLaHunt