[GNC] Split Transactions

normanj njessup42 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 21:53:56 EDT 2020

I've been using Gnucash for a few years, but I'm far from being an expert
user.

One of my accounts is for a savings account which pays a monthly interest
and, subject to some conditions, a "bonus" interest payment.  The bank used
to report these as a single monthly payment so entering these into Gnucash
was a straightforward transaction - a assets account for the balance and an
income account for the interest.

The bank has started reporting the base and bonus interest payments
separately, and my first thought was to use a split transaction - two
payments for the interest and two corresponding entries into the asset
account.  However, when I save the transaction it is shown as two split
transactions, each showing the same 4 numbers for both the regular and
"bonus" interest, though the asset account balance is correct.  Any change I
make to one transaction, including deletion, is immediately reflected in the
other transaction.

To my inexpert eye this seems quite odd.  The only way I can see to fix this
is to delete the impacted transactions and re-enter the "ordinary" and
"bonus" payments separately, though as they are directly linked there is an
obvious benefit in having everything in one transaction.

Can anyone kindly advise if this is normal behaviour and is there a better
way to do this?  If it makes a difference I use a mac and upgraded to
Gnucash 3.6 earlier in year (as it happens, about the same time the bank
chnged its reporting format)

Thank you.  Despite this hiccup, I've found Gnucash to be an excellent tool.