[GNC] Frustration (recently used files)

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon Apr 5 17:01:33 EDT 2021

On 4/5/2021 1:03 PM, D. via gnucash-user wrote:
> Stan,
>
> I'm going to wager that Andrew is on a Mac, because he said that when he clicked one account, another opened. This strongly implies the oddity that Mac users cannot double click on a GnuCash file in Finder and have that file open. It will always trigger Gnucash for the last file opened.
>
> This is a known issue for Mac users of Gnucash, and John Ralls (the Mac expert on the development team) has in the past explained exactly why this problem exists on the Mac. The workaround on this is to use File->Open in GnuCash to open your files. You can create Automator scripts as well, but that seems a little like overkill.
>
> David T.

That is why I was asking for clarity about which OS and exactly what
procedure. Because what was written was described AS IF experiencing
this from file => open as opposed to clicking on an object.

In my own case, there was so little predictability as to which gnucash
books I wanted to open (relative to the last opened) I use the -nofile
option so am always selecting. The situation has gotten better (fewer
sets of books) now that I have replacements* as treasurer for all of the
organizations I was doing, but I still might open more than four.

Michael

* It is considered bad practice not to have periodic replacement of
treasurer. Nor should organizations have to repeatedly override their
bylaws to allow a treasurer to remain beyond set term. Something the
accountant doing a financial review would flag as bad/unsafe practice.