[GNC] Tax deferred account transfers suggestion

Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 13:01:39 EDT 2021

I don't believe this is exactly correct. Contributions to IRAs with
post-tax, non-deductible dollars could be made in the past (maybe still can
be? I don't know). In the year of withdrawal, you use Form 8606 to
calculate what portion of that year withdrawals are taxable (i.e.,
corresponding to withdrawals of pre-tax contributions and earning thereon)
and what portion of that year withdrawals are not taxable (i.e.,
corresponding to withdrawals of post-tax contributions on which you have
already paid taxes at the time of contribution, thus avoiding double
taxation on that part at the time of withdrawal).

This may apply to other tax-deferred programs, as well. In any case, the
rules change at the whim of congress and whatever administration is in
place and, in my opinion, it would be a mistake for the program to be
designed to hard-code rules like that.