[GNC] Transferring scheduled transactions to a new file

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Tue Apr 6 20:06:22 EDT 2021

On 2021-04-06 15:04, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Perhaps you shouldn't start a new file then?
> -derek

Derek wasn't being flippant. To expand a little bit on his thought --

New GnuCash users often seem to be under the impression that they need
to segregate each year's transactions in a separate file. However, you
can "close the books" at the end of the year, and then the income and
expense accounts will start over at 0 for the new year's
transactions.(There's a menu item, or you can do it manually.) But you
still have the ability to run reports on the old year, simply by setting
report options to the desired dates.

And not creating a new empty file every year means you keep the
scheduled transactions (as Derek implies), and you don't have to clone
your chart of accounts and enter opening balances for the Assets,
Liabilities, and Equity accounts. Also, you keep auto-fill based on past
transactions, which can be a big time-saver.

It does make sense to me to have a file for archival purposes where
nothing dated earlier than Jan. 1 of this year gets changed. That's
easily done: with GnuCash _not_ running, simply copy your main data
file, give the copy a name like "2020_freeze.gnucash", and set the copy
to read only however your operating system does that.

--
Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA