[GNC] Migrating and updating version 2 to 4

Alan A Holmes gnucash at alanaholmes.me.uk
Wed Apr 7 12:38:47 EDT 2021

Roger,

Adrian Monteleone gave a brilliant answer to this in the past. I can't work
out how to link to his reply so, with apologies to Adrian, his reply was as
follows :-
____________________________________

	Per the FAQ in the Wiki, only upgrading from one major to the next
major release is supported. Skipping major releases is *not* supported.

	Thus for you, 2.6.21 > 3.11 > 4.2 would be okay.

	However, 2.6.21 > 4.2 *might* result in issues which *may* include
data loss or corruption. (no guarantees either way) You might get lucky, you
might not. You might not, and not realize it for some time depending on the
nature of the corruption/loss.

	Properly upgrading *should* result in custom reports and other
settings being migrated properly. There were some migration issues with the
early 3.x series, but that was solved at some point. (not sure of the cutoff
release, see release notes starting with 3.0 till about 3.3 or so if
curious.)

	Also per the FAQ and the Wiki, after opening your data file for the
first time with each new major version, you should run Action > Check &
Repair > Check & Repair All to make sure your book is adjusted to reflect
any changes to how GnuCash internally records data. This also can prevent
previous versions from reading the file after this point.
(this will vary by book, according to what features you were using in the
prior edition) The release notes for 3.0 and 4.0 should detail these
changes.

	Regards,
	Adrien

The only difference is that GnuCash is now on version 4.5 rather than 4.2.

As you're coming from 2.6.21 on Windows 7 you should be able to install 3.11
on Windows 10, and use the data file from your Windows 7 PC.

Good luck.

Alan A Holmes