[GNC] asset discrepancy in change of year

Andrea Borgia andrea at borgia.bo.it
Sun Apr 11 08:01:21 EDT 2021

Il 10/04/21 20:33, John Ralls ha scritto:

> 1) No, but that's separate from trading accounts. That's the point of the bug report.
>
> 2) No, the trading accounts just make it obvious that you haven't booked the gain/loss.
>
> 3) That's back to the discussion in the bug. When you trade securities in a foreign currency you have *two* sources of gains/losses: The gain or loss realized in the foreign currency from the sale of the security and the gain or loss from converting the foreign currency back into your home currency. Study that bug and the spreadsheets that CDB-Man has attached. The basic point that CDB-Man (an actual accountant licensed in Canada) makes is that every time you touch an asset denominated in something other than your home currency the change must be converted back to your home currency and the change in home currency value booked as a gain/loss. It's possible, but difficult, to do this in GnuCash. Trading Accounts don't really help.

So, as an "executive summary" of sorts: I can't win and even a tie is
out of the question ;)

I'm trying to think how to handle it as simply as possible; I'll study
the bug report because I'd like to understand it but I'd rather avoid
complicated manual work to be carried out each time I buy or sell funds,
because that will happen seldom enough that I'd basically have to
relearn the whole process each time :(

Would keeping the books open, without "trading accounts", across years
actually help? I'd still be calculating a profit / loss by closing the
income / expense accounts, but that's all. Somehow I think this would
just hide the problem, though.

Alternatively, I could keep "trading accounts" enabled, see how much
unrealized profit / loss I have for the year and factor in that when
calculating the initial capital for the following year. That's actually
the situation I am in right now: the discrepancy between initial capital
in 2021 and end capital of 2020 is precisely the amount listed by the
trading account, for both EUR and USD.

Thanks,

Andrea.