[GNC] asset discrepancy in change of year

Andrea Borgia andrea at borgia.bo.it
Tue Apr 20 17:51:56 EDT 2021

Il 17/04/21 19:47, John Ralls ha scritto:

> But if you sold only 50 shares Trading:XYZ would have a balance of -50 and Trading:EUR has a balance of €400. To find the capital gain you have to compute the basis of the remaining 50 shares and subtract it from the Trading:EUR balance.

Yes, that's why I said "for closing 2020": I understood it was a special
case and I actually wrote to my future self a memo explaining why the
year-end closing is the way it is.

For 2021, especially if a sale occurs, I'll try to record it properly.

> So rather than getting you in trouble with the tax authorities the consequences would be in the time spent on figuring out why your numbers and theirs are different.

Why would that be the case? I have no way to calculate the tax amount
from within gnucash, I'm simply going to take what the bank debits and
record it.

The one issue I have with the way the bank records costs (not taxes) is
that the fixed fee paid on purchase of a fund is lumped together with
the investment amount, so they have a slightly different share price
from mine.

I chose to record the expense the moment it is incurred, that is at
purchase time.

I might as well follow their lead, if else to make my life easier still,
but this should be just a matter of preference, right?

Thanks,

Andrea.