[GNC] ETF's in GnuCash?

farleykj farleykj at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 21:32:04 EDT 2021

An ETF is traded like a stock, so I choose to treat it as one. It behaves
exactly the same. I see no difference in how any of them are handled as far
as tracking my accounts, price retrieval, etc. The only thing I've ever had
to handle differently in decades is when I sold an ETF based on gold. In the
US, that sets you up for a rather substantial tax (For federal plus my
state's tax rate for "collectables" this resulted in 40% tax).
All the ETFs I've invested in are publicly traded, so getting prices for
them is not a problem using Yahoo as JSON. The only thing I've had troubles
with in the past is an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) within a 401(k).
For that I had to figure out a ratio of the ESOP price to the company stock
price and make my own Perl module to "build" me a quote for the ESOP. Kind
of clunky, but it worked well enough.

-----
Ken Farley