[GNC] Command Line Args

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Apr 22 18:06:02 EDT 2021

> On Apr 22, 2021, at 2:30 PM, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
>
> That is very VERY odd.  It works for me.  I wonder if this is a Windows bug?

Not odd at all, and not a bug in the sense that Microsoft did it on purpose [1]. Windows executables have a couple of bytes in their preambles that say what type they are. Console apps have stdin, stdout, and stderr and so they require a shell window of some sort (CMD and Powershell being the most common) and will open one for you if you launch them from Windows File Explorer. The others redirect the basic FDs to NULL and so they don't need a shell window. gnucash is a Windows program (no basic FDs) and gnucash-cli is a Console program (has basic FDs).

Regards,
John Ralls

[1] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows_10/what-is-difference-between-console-application/f8bd3d4f-7c2c-4c86-a64b-41a046a38be4