[GNC] "No suitable backend" message trying to open an alias to a gnucash file

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 13:19:37 EDT 2021

> On 27 Apr 2021, at 22:12, Michael Hendry <hendry.michael at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Michael,
>>
>> That's the expected behavior because with the XML backend when GnuCash saves it first renames the original file--the one you hard-linked--to become the backup file. If you switch to the SQLite3 backend it will work the way you want.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>
> Of course!
>
> Thank you.
>
> Michael

PS Just to report that I’ve abandoned the linked file approach and set up a cron job to copy the relevant files to ~/Dropbox on a daily basis. This provides an offsite backup of these files, and will allow my deputy to download the most recent copies in my absence. I’m not expecting the deputy to edit the accounts, just to be able to check the current state of the accounts and deal with any urgent matters.

It took longer than expected to set up the task because cron wasn’t allowed access to the files - MacOS Catalina requires specific permission.

Regards,

Michael