[GNC] [MAINT] Unplanned network outage

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Apr 29 08:18:57 EDT 2021

On Thu, April 29, 2021 7:51 am, Liz Dodd wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 12:03:56 -0400
> Glenn Fowler <gfowler1 at outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Derek,
>>
>> Wouldn't it be advantageous to move to a cloud server to relieve you
>> of maintaining hardware and issues with network & power outages and
>> the risk of natural disasters such as fire?
>
> "Cloud" is simply a euphemism for someone else's computer.
> I suspect Derek is of my vintage, and we are happy dealing with
> managing our own stuff and not parking it on someone else's computer.

Indeed.  A cloud service has the same kind of outages.  Just look at all
the times that Microsoft, Google, FB, etc services go offline.  It's rare,
but it happens.  Moreover, if data gets moved into the "cloud" (i.e., onto
someone else's computers), then your (our!) data is at their mercy.
Worse, you don't know *where* your data lives (or who has access to it!!)

Another alternative is putting a piece of hardware into a colo facility.
That could provide better connectivity and power -- but it's much more
expensive on an ongoing basis, and frankly I DO have my hardware on a UPS
that lasts over 2 hours at current loads.

I acknowledge that there have been several incidents recently, which is
actually quite unusual.  But I've been running these services myself for
well more than a decade now (probably getting closer to 2 decades).
Outages are, on average, few and far between -- and we have full control
over the security of our data.

Thanks,

> Liz

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745