[GNC] DRP accounts, portfolio reports and making sense of the numbers

Andrew Clark ajfclark at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 20:39:50 EDT 2021

Somehow my previous email was sent before I had finished typing it.

I have an investment of NAB shares that I acquired as part of their
employee incentive program years ago and I'm trying to figure out the best
way to record it in GnuCash.

The shares were worth $3000 at the time of allotment. They were released to
me at the value of $2732.85. They pay a regular dividend twice a year. That
dividend is reinvested as part of a dividend reinvestment program (DRP).
Any remainder from the DRP is held over until the next cycle.

So take the payment on 2008-12-17.

There was 24.25 held over from the previous cycle.
The dividend was also 24.25.
Total to reinvest is 48.50.
Shares 2 @ 18.64 = 37.28
Remainder held until next cycle 48.50 - 37.28 = 11.22.

[image: image.png]

Now, in the portfolio report, if I set the date ot the date of that
transaction, I get:
[image: image.png]

'Money in' should be $2732.85 but it includes the 13.03 that was used from
the held over dividend? I don't feel like it should, as I have not
contributed any money into the system.

The accounts are laid out as below:

[image: image.png]

Should the DRP Holding account have a different type? Should it be located
somewhere else? Is there a better way to record this?

--
Cheers,

Andrew.