[GNC] Help Selling & Buying Securities

Eric Coates TwistedWood at talktalk.net
Tue Aug 10 08:29:06 EDT 2021

Jack

I'm assuming that your "Invest Account - ABC" is set up as a stock
(check using the Edit Account button) and you have set an opening
balance of 100 shares of ABC in that account. If that is correct you
sell them by an entry similar to the one shown in the attached Sell
Shares png but you would show that the cash is paid into your Parent
Invest Account (which should be set up as type Asset but with Security
/currency set as your base currency.)

After setting up an account "Invest Account - XYZ" buying the XYZ shares
can be recorded using an entry similar to that shown in the Buy Shares
png again using the Parent Invest Account as the source of funds. (I'm
pretty sure that people cleverer than I would do the sale and purchase
as one transaction but I prefer to keep things simple. Like what I am!)

However, it seems that a more common hierarchy of accounts would be
something like that shown in the Accounts png. Under Assets set up an
account (commonly) called after the broker you use - marking it as a
place holder. Then under that set up separate accounts for cash  and
each of the shares you have (See the notes above as to Type etc). If, at
some future point, you want to buy shares using "new money" do a
Transfer from (typically) your bank account to the Cash sub account;
similarly, selling shares and withdrawing the money is done by a
transfer from Cash to the bank account.

There's a good write up of the procedure available at
https://code.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-guide/invest-buy-stock1.html
which also deals with commission and taxes. It must be good, it set me
right!

Best wishes
Eric