[GNC] What is the purpose of hidden accounts?

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sun Aug 22 09:45:14 EDT 2021

On 8/22/2021 2:20 AM, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:
> On 2021-08-21 22:13, Tim Hume via gnucash-user wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> In GnuCash one can create a hidden account. What legitimate purposes
>> are there for hidden accounts?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Tim.
>

> Also, bear in mind that "legitimate" is a function of the bookkeeper
> and the accounting rules they must follow. There are purposes which
> might be legitimate for the personal books of an individual, which
> might not be legitimate for the audited books of a corporation.

THAT is a very good explanation.

But I want to point something out. Some of us who are more formal with
bookkeeping might want  not to remove historical (but not currently
active) accounts still IN the books but not have them creating clutter.
Besides, as has also been pointed out, if you delete accounts, you have
to decide on a place where the transactions will go. That is likely to
be far more work than simply marking the no longer active accounts
"hidden". I'll give an example of that:

Suppose we are an organization that over time has fixed assets that get
depreciated. In the case of our chestnut chapter, mowers, mower sheds,
trailers, portable lifts, etc. What to do with the associated accounts
once fully depreciated? COULD have an account "historical fixed assets"
with children "total basis" and "total depreciation" and as each fixed
asset becomes fully depreciated, close the accounts here. But simpler to
mark then "hidden".

In my own personal books, we track "donations". What to do with an
organization to which we once gave but no longer (or not currently). I
can easily choose to see hidden accounts and find out whether we ever
gave to an organization. Why important? I will treat very differently a
solicitation from an organization asking us to "rejoin" or "renew
membership" based on looking that up. At the moment, it appears a number
of organizations are trying lying/trickery, pretending whoever they are
soliciting are prior donors/members who just forgot to renew. Any
organizations trying that with us  get a sharply worded letter
explaining why they are now disqualified for consideration being added
to our list for a year. << essentially, all organizations on our list
get an annual donation -- so from a report, we can check "who hasn't
gotten theirs yet" and this is MUCH easier of the clutter of "inactive"
accounts isn't visible --- but we don't want the account permanently
gone in case we put that organization back on our list >>

Michael D Novack