[GNC] gnucash-cli options - accounts, dates and other settings

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Tue Aug 31 10:47:08 EDT 2021

On 8/31/2021 5:52 AM, flywire wrote:
> This report needs accounts and dates to be specified in Win10 and I'd like
> to tweak some other settings. "A datafile may be specified to describe some
> saved options." Where is the documentation for gnucash-cli ?

Maybe missing the main point? For most reports, you will always be
specifying the effective date(s) for the report and in most cases this
will have nothing to do with the real time date when you run the report.

For example, suppose you run an "Income Statement" (aka P&L, etc.) and a
"Balance Sheet" at the end of each quarter (in effect, Balance Sheet at
start too, but you have that from last quarter). The effective dates for
the "Statement of Revenues and Expenses" (that's what a non-profit calls
it) would be the  first and last date of the quarter and for the Balance
Sheet, the last day of the quarter. But you are unlikely to actually run
these reports till several days after the end of the quarter when you
are sure all transactions entered.

TYPICALLY I would have these reports open from last time, use
edit=>options to change the dates, apply, and then export. The "system
date" is irrelevant.

Michael D Novack