[GNC] Flatpak/Flatseal Gnucash fails to launch

Chris Good goodchris96 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 01:19:56 EST 2021

Message: 9
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 07:53:49 -0500
From: Elmar <etschme at gmail.com <mailto:etschme at gmail.com> >
To: "Fross, Michael" <michael at fross.org <mailto:michael at fross.org> >
Cc: Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be <mailto:geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> >,
        gnucash-user at gnucash.org <mailto:gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
Subject: Re: [GNC] Flatpak/Flatseal Gnucash fails to launch

On 11/30/21 7:51 AM, Fross, Michael wrote:
> Don?t forget the ?run? command. In your paste it was missing.? See
> Geert?s command.

Oops - here's better.? I got messed up first with flaptak, instead of
flatpak :)

> ets at Shinobi ~ $ flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash
> error: While opening repository /home/ets/.local/share/flatpak/repo:
> opening repo: opendir(objects): No such file or directory

Hi Elmar,

Flatpak works fine for me in my Mint 20.2 VM.

Although I don’t have flatseal (and I don’t really need it).

I searched for your error message and found several possible solutions.

This seems the most likely to help:

https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/issues/3585#issuecomment-621545087 :

Looks like your repo config was somehow deleted. If you don't care about saving the apps

in your user installation you can just do rm -rf ~/.local/share/flatpak.

Otherwise you can do

 echo -e "[core]\nrepo_version=1\nmode=bare-user-only" > ~/.local/share/flatpak/repo/config

 but you'll also have to re-add any remotes you had configured (e.g. flathub).

Note I have just updated the Installation section of

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Flatpak

as I have discovered flatpak keeps both ‘user’ and ‘system’ remotes, so when you add flathub as a remote, you need to use the appropriate command

to add a ‘user’ or ‘system’ remote depending on if you want to make gnucash a  ‘user’ or ‘system’ app.

User flatpak app’s can only be run by the user that installs it, while system app’s can be run by any user.

Regards,

Chris Good