[GNC] read-only accounts

Mattia Rizzolo mattia at mapreri.org
Fri Dec 3 12:43:16 EST 2021

On Fri, Dec 03, 2021 at 11:50:11AM -0500, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:
> On 12/3/2021 10:27 AM, Glenn Fowler wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What about just making the file read only with no write permission?
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 9:17 AM Mattia Rizzolo <mattia at mapreri.org> wrote:
>
> THAT is looking in the right direction. If you want to "freeze" the books as
> of a certain state make a copy of the file that is "read only". You could
> use the Julian date in the name you give this file so you can tell it apart
> from "freezes" made at other times.

Oh, reading it again my mail I noticed I wrote "I reconciled the whole
book" - apologies, that wasn't what I meant.  I accidentally typed
"book" instead of "account".

I'm really only referring to a single account across the whole book,
that is still otherwise in active use.

You can see it similarly to when you close a bank account or a credit
card: you totally want to keep it around, but you don't want to touch
the transactions involved with it anymore.
In those cases, do you just go on with life hoping you're not going to
mess with it?

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo