[GNC] Subject: Re: Ubuntu binary fairly dated

Mike Brady mikee.bunch at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 3 16:19:32 EST 2021

Have been following this thread because I use Linux Mint, which is based
on the LTS version of Ubuntu. Yes, the GnuCash version in the Ubuntu LTS
repository is way out of date (3.8). I'm out of date, even on Windows
(3.10 in one machine, 4.3 on the other), mainly due to laziness about
chasing down latest versions and wariness about file compatibility, plus
wanting to maintain compatibility with the LInux machine. So far, that's
worked. But it would be nice to have everything, at least briefly, on
the same version. I've built my own before, for other software, but I'd
rather not.

Anyway, for the Linux side, I wonder why the repository version must be
frozen, or if there's a workaround other than using Flatpack (which I've
had problems with as a platform). Libreoffice, Firefox, and Thunderbird
seem to be able to work around it, and their Linux versions update to
match the Windows version within a week (usually only a day or 2) of the
Windows release. Not sure how they're doing it, but it might be
worthwhile for GNC to try it - perhaps a separate PPA? Since Linux is
polite enough to ask before updating, those who don't want to update can
easily block it.

-Mike Brady
  Plain Old User