[GNC] The correct way to account for prepaid things that comes with bonuses

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 15:35:22 EST 2021

Mattio,

It is possible more correctly described as a discount on the expense so instead
of crediting an Income:Bonuses account you could credit what accountants call a
contra account to Expenses:Travel:Rental which couuld be named
Expenses:Travel:Rental:Discounts which sums into the parent expense account,
i.e. it is essentially a price reduction. This would allow you to keep track on
both the original expense and the economic benefit you receive by the bulk
purchase The moped owner is essentially compensating you in part for the extra
interest he earns on the money you have deposited with him in advance.

However if your jurisdiction were to tax such discounts, treating it as income
will likely be more appropriate. It is really the tax treatment which decides
how best to account for it.
If you are unsure consult an accountant in your jurisdiction.

David Cousens