[GNC] Bitcoin is legal currency in El Salvador - why not

Kalpesh Patel kalpesh.patel at usa.net
Tue Dec 7 14:19:00 EST 2021

Why not to set this up as a true currency in GNC, instead of Stock or Mutual
Fund?

------------------------------

Message: 8

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 12:42:21 +0000

From: Eric Coates <TwistedWood at talktalk.net
<mailto:TwistedWood at talktalk.net> >

To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org <mailto:gnucash-user at gnucash.org>

Subject: Re: [GNC] Bitcoin is legal currency in El Salvador - why not

                add BTC?

<mailto:6bc32ed3-ac6b-5924-1990-f852c6829d1e at talktalk.net> >

Hi

To (slightly) misquote John Ralls

"Bitcoin is neither a major nor a minor currency. It's not a currency at
all:...[it is]? a speculation vehicle, not a currency."

but as shares are also "speculation vehicles" a possibility arises.

Starting from Dustin Henning's comment, some trivial experimentation shows
that it is possible to set up a Bitcoin account in GnuCash by classifying it
as a Stock (although Mutual Fund may be more appropriate as, I understand,
fractional parts of Bitcoin are possible) and setting up Bitcoin as a
security. And (somewhat to my surprise) it is possible to get on-line quotes
by specifying the Symbol/abbreviation as BTC-GBP and using Yahoo as JSON as
the source in the Single source drop-down.

(BTC -USD is also available, others may be - I haven't checked).

So (probably after some experimentation) Bitcoin can already be handled
within GnuCash!

"They knew not how well they built"

Take care

Eric