[GNC] An automated depreciation calculator would be really helpful.

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 20:33:37 EST 2021

On Thu, 9 Dec 2021 at 00:47, David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> That would be nice, but, as you opened the discussion with the note that
> you use spreadsheets to perform the calculations,

No I did not. I said a friend uses a spreadsheet for depreciation, after
purchasing some accounting add-on for Excel.

I have in the past just given my accountant the date of purchase, and what
the asset is. He works out the depreciation, but I have a rough idea how he
does it. It's the first method mentioned here

https://cvs.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-guide/dep_value1.html

I would assume that if the calculator was added, that could do a linear
method, it would not take too much effort to use a different algorithm
There are examples of three methods at

https://cvs.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-guide/dep_value1.html

The most difficult task would be getting it to use to do the work - once
set up, I doubt that a radio button or an entry in preference that just
does a different bit of mathematics would be too hard.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do this, and as I stated, I'm well
aware it's much easier to thing of ways of improving software, than to
actually do it on an open-source project, where people have other jobs.

Dave