[GNC] Directors loan - do I need an expense account?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Dec 10 00:14:24 EST 2021

With the usual caveat that this is not formal advice, I agree with
Michael. This looks like what we call "Owner's Equity" in my parts.

If this is just for you, then my personal advice is keep it simple.

Keep it in Equity.

You can put the original 'loan' into "Owner's Equity", and any money
taken out (or paid back) *from/by* the company can be in "Owner's Draw".
(which should be a child of Owner's Equity so the parent results in a
net amount at a glance.)

If the Owner returns some of the Draw, that would simply be a reversing
type transaction in the Draw account, or an increase in their main
Equity account. (though I suppose you could track it in a separate child
account still if you wanted, but unnecessary as a report can handle that
detail.)

An Accounting textbook would most probably advise that none of this
involves expenses or revenue. (unless you start introducing 'interest
paid' in either direction.)

Equity is already understood to be a 'liability' of a special type — to
the owner(s). It usually is *not* recorded as normal liabilities,
because those are usually short term (less than one year) or long term,
but Equity is essentially on indefinite terms.

Regards,
Adrien