[GNC] Bitcoin is legal currency in El Salvador - why not add BTC?

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 16:30:14 EST 2021

Dustin and Dave,

As always with GnuCash the priority accorded to an item is a weighted decision
based on the need and the availability of developer time against other
priorities. The principal weighting is the availability of someone in the
development team (by no means a fixed resource outside the core developers of
the project and even the volunteer core developers are a time limited resource)
with enough familiarity with the areas of code affected with both the time and
the interest in making the necessary changes. It is not simply a matter of
management assigning an appropriate resource as it is in a commercial
application.

Discussions such as these are a useful and a necessary part of building up the
momentum for introducing such changes and defining the issues involved but until
someone self identifies to take on the task of implementation, it remains just a
topic of discussion. John Ralls has defined the conditions which would raise the
priority for him to consider taking up the issue of BTC as a currency and it is
highly likely that most of the other core developers are going to have similar
priorities

Ultimately it gets down to if you want it badly enough and non-one else is
prepared to or has offered to implement a desired change, then you either put on
your developer hat, learn the necessary skills and get it done yourself, or
forget about it for the moment, until someone is prepared to make the offer to
implement it or your need becomes a sufficient motivator.

The GnuCash user forum has had many such issues raised over its history, many of
which are still languishing after more than 20 years waiting for someone with
the necessary skills and interest to take them up, particularly the case for
issues which only affect a minority of the jurisdictions in which GnuCash is
used.

My personal judgements is that at present BTC is not yet a universal currency
and is not regulated enough to be usefully recorded as a currency but I do
recognize as Dave Kirby has pointed out that this position is rapidly changing.
Yes standards lag behind practice, but their introduction usually signals the
process of regulation and control is underway that will change BTC from a
primarily speculative medium of exchange to a regulated currency.

David Cousens