[GNC] How would one record "Provision for liabilities" ?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Dec 10 21:55:39 EST 2021

You can certainly create 'Other Liabilities' or 'Provisional
Liabilities' under the main 'Liabilities' account, as you see fit.

I'd create that as a placeholder-parent, and then create a separate
account for the specific liability 'owner'. (or whatever
description/name makes sense)

This practice will allow you to easily move that account somewhere else
in the tree if you need to. (as long as it is still a 'credit' account,
that is—liability, equity, revenue—opposite accounts of asset and
expense would be significantly more difficult to transition to)

So if you weren't sure if the account should be Equity, Liability, or
Revenue, it really doesn't matter at first, as long as you describe it
well, and keep its transactions isolated. (don't mix other stuff in it,
which is why it should be a child account with a descriptive parent, and
never a 'catch-all/miscellaneous' approach)

Regards,
Adrien