[GNC] How would one record "Provision for liabilities" ?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Dec 10 22:11:08 EST 2021

You'd need to ask the accountant at *least* two questions. (more will
arise, I'm sure)

1) where in the CoA does/should this 'provisions' account reside?
2) how do you determine its balance? (what other accounts affect it?)

Note, it is certainly possible in accounting (and in GnuCash) to track a
liability in one account to see if you've paid off a 'related/linked'
liability in another account. (not directly with some special feature of
the software, just with your understanding of how the CoA works)

This requires extra entries which amount to 'tracking' information, but
are certainly doable. (just more work)

Sometimes, due to time constraints, this treatment is necessary. Others,
it is simply a matter of preference.

For example, pass-through liabilities are treated this way. (when you
collect sales taxes due to some government entity at point of sale, they
are recorded as due immediately, and then when you pay them, you reduce
that 'due' liability.)

The same can work for other liabilities you 'plan' to pay. Though I'm
not specifically familiar with the treatment or term at hand, so by all
means, ask your accountant!

Regards,
Adrien