[GNC] Why do people start new threads?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Dec 11 05:01:44 EST 2021

On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 08:21:29PM -0600, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> On 12/10/21 3:05 PM, paul at kroitor.ca wrote:
> > Guilty as charged (and I can't even claim I'm not an old hand at mailing
> > lists). Apologies again!
> >
> > I know there are endless posts going back years about switching to something
> > more forgiving. IMHO the biggest problem with them is how unforgiving they
> > are once a mistake is made. With a forum (or half-a-dozen other approaches)
> > at least a moderator can clean up unintended (or even intended) fiascos.
> >
> Don't sweat it Paul!
>
> The 'unforgiving' nature is because it is e-mail. Once it is out there, it
> is out there. No changes are possible as the transmission has already
> occurred and is fully completed.
>
> Thankfully one *cannot* edit an e-mail after sending.

However it's perfectly possible to reply to one's own E-Mail on a list
if you have made an error.  If it's simply a typo then just quote only
the line with the error and correct it.

E-Mail is still by far the most popular (and useful IMHO)
communication medium used for software technical[ish] discussions.

I am on far too many (mostly software) discussion lists to even
possibly contemplate them moving to forums.  With E-Mail everything
arrives in my mail program (sorted into separate places for each
list), if they were forums I'd have to got to (more than 60) different
web pages and log in on each to see postings.

--
Chris Green