[GNC] Can I add a customer and/or vendor to a previously entered transaction?

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 14:17:24 EST 2021

Normally the first transaction you would enter would be the payment, and then the refund later.

Assuming you have a payment to associate, first create a “bill”.  This is GnuCash-speak for an invoice received from a vendor.
Put in it what you need, then “Post” it.

Now you can go to the account from which you paid the vendor and click on the transaction.  With the transaction selected go to Edit->Assign as Payment and you will have a pop-up to fill in.
That will include a place to type the vendor’s name.  Once everything is good with that window and you accept it, the transaction will be assigned.

For the refund, you do much the same thing, except when you open the “bill” you select “Credit Note” - near the top.