[GNC] Why do people start new threads?

Dave Hayes dave at jetcafe.org
Mon Dec 13 13:19:58 EST 2021

On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 08:36:51 +0000
Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 04:06:48PM -0800, Dave Hayes wrote:
> > That is always used and mostly present. However, there's nothing to compare
> > it to unless you at least have an "In-Reply-To" header. Otherwise, how do
> > you know a message has been replied to?
>
> Yes, of course, if someone's mail client doesn't put the Message-ID:
> there then there's not much one can do.  My mail client will thread
> using the Subject: if required but it's far from the 'right' way to do
> it.

Actually, the header required is "In-Reply-To". You also need a Message-ID but
usually mail software will attach this all the time.

Nevertheless I see my irony is missed (which is not unusual with humans) so
I'll spell it out. The original poster appeared to complain of people starting
new threads on the same subject. However, given there was no "In-Reply-To"
header (or a References header), his posting actually started a new thread.
See? :)
Dave Hayes - Consultant - LA CA, USA - dave at dream-tech.com

"There is nothing which cannot be answered by means of my
doctrine," said a monk, coming into a teahouse where
Nasrudin sat. "And yet just a short time ago, I was
challenged by a scholar with an unanswerable question," said
Nasrudin.

"I could have answered it if I had been there.", replied the
monk.

"Very well," Nasrudin said. "The scholar asked, 'Why are you
breaking into my house in the middle of the night?'"