[GNC] Beginner Accounting Question Using GnuCash

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sat Dec 18 10:51:21 EST 2021

On 12/17/2021 6:44 PM, David H wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Thanks, my bad I was thinking in terms of my personal Gnucash book not
> realising it was more appropriate to be thinking in terms of business books
> in Patrick's case.  Lesson learned, glad I'm still learning after all this
> time :-)

Not quite. It isn't a personal vs business difference but a difference
between what "paper" is for a business buying and selling paper (a
stationery business) vs a business buying paper just as "office
supplies". On the latter case, would immediately be an expense while in
the former, only expensed as inventory depleted.

Michael D Novack

PS: Not a "capital expense". The stationery business might have those
too, say its shelves and counters, etc. Those would be expensed as
depreciated. This instead would be under the asset category "inventory".