[GNC] Fwd: Reconciliation mystery - unreconciled transactions in a period that was reconciled.

Rogier F. van Vlissingen vliscony at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 16:02:53 EST 2021

To: <davidcousens49 at gmail.com>

Thanks, I am not totally clear as to what you are saying...

It seems clear that the problem is in December only, and I remember racing
for the tax deadline ;-) so I may have done something wrong in that last
reconciliation of the year. But, yes, it is two months ago, and I do not
have a memory of making the mistake, I am now setting up my 2021 and that's
when I realized the discrepancy. there was no error with the dates, and the
two transactions do show up as unreconciled in Jan 31 2021 reconcile.

Here is the pic in Dec 2020 - the two "n" transactions are the 2nd and 3rd
last, so there was only one final one on 12/31.2020 (not shown in table).

"n" 12/30/2020 $35.88
"n" 12/31/2020 $99.46
ending balance $52.03 but statement says $187.37 - difference $135.34,
which is the total of the two "n" transactions.

mysteriously, the reconcile process thinks the Jan 21 opening balance is
(correctly) $187.37, so that, if I accept the two "n" transactions, I come
out wrong, for that opening balance assumes they were already reconciled in
december, but the register and the trial balance do not reflect it.

In short, if I reconcile them in January, I am perpetuating the mistake.
So it seems that ideally, I should undo the December reconcile and do it
again, at which point in time I may have to correct my 2020 filing.

I am not sure if or how I can undo the reconcile for December.

Is it possible that I did the reconciliation, but forgot to save the data
or some such thing?

<http://rogierfentenervanvlissingen.me?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=gmail_api&utm_content=thumb>
Rogier Fentener van Vlissingen <http://rogierfentenervanvlissingen.me>