[GNC] Tracking capital gains, commissions and the Trial Balance report

Daniel Torstenson dtorstenson21 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 15:58:57 EST 2021

Yes, I should be clear that I don't really see a problem with GnuCash,
rather the "problem" is in understanding how to handle these things. I
wonder if maybe the wiki should mention it since I think anyone who is used
to tracking investments in personal finance software like Quicken or Money
or whatever, will be expecting to just enter commissions and capital gains
and can get confused when the Trial Balance report doesn't balance. In
fact, in those threads, it seemed some people thought the Trial Balance
report was wrong, or that GnuCash was broken because it wasn't doing what
they expected.

So right now, I have two "commissions" accounts: (1) Expenses:Commissions
(expense) and (2) Capital Gains:Commissions (income)

Using Chris' method, I would have (1) Expenses:Commissions (expense) and
(2) Expenses:Commissions:Less Applied to Basis (expense)

It looks like you're suggesting (1) Assets:XYZ:Commissions, but I'm not
sure what the other account to balance it would be. A subaccount of capital
gains, or a subaccount of commissions?

Thanks for helping a new guy.