[GNC] Build in docker, how to install on different laptop

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Dec 23 12:54:00 EST 2021

> On Dec 23, 2021, at 5:53 AM, Hajo Hindriks <hhn10 at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> I have an older laptop running ubuntu 20.04 LTS, I want to update
> gnucash on it without installing all the build tools and dependencies
> and I don't want to use flatpack either. So I used a docker container
> based on 20.04 LTS to build the tag 4.9. So far so good, but I don't
> know how to install to the other laptop, any advice on this? Do I need
> to investigate how to create a deb file? When calling ninja install it
> seems to write only to /opt/gnucash, would it be sufficient to copy this
> foler to the laptop? There are messages of "set runtime path of "..." to
> "...", how could I replicate this on the laptop?
>
> And one small question aside, I run bin/gnucash --version in the build
> dir and got the following output:
>
> # bin /gnucash-cli --version
> GnuCash 4.8 development version
> Build ID: git 4.9+(2021-12-18)
>
> is the 4.8 expected in this context?

A docker image is like a flatpak: It's a lightweight virtual machine. To run it on another machine you install docker in that machine and use it to run the docker container you created, see https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/commandline/run/ <https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/commandline/run/>.

If you built GnuCash from the 4.9 tag, it's off by 1 commit: The CMakeLists.txt version bump is in 20bfabf. Nothing to worry about.

Regards,
John Ralls