[GNC] how to remove both GNC 4.2 and Flathub version 4.8 so can upgrade to 4.9 on Ubuntu 20.04lts

Jeff beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 24 02:43:14 EST 2021

On 12/20/21 3:16 AM, davidcousens49 at gmail.com wrote:
> Jeff,
> You may find this page helpful to unistall the flatpak version.
> https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/1-flatpak-uninstall/
>
> How did you install GC 4.2. If you built it from source and still have the
> source and build directories it was installed from theneither
> $sudo ninja uninstall
> or
> $sudo make uninstall
> run in the build directory in a terminal should uninstall it.
>
> If you installed 4.2 from the sickly life ppa you should be able to remove it
> with
> $sudo apt remove --auto-remove gnucash
>

> If not it will be a manual uninstall as per the instructions here
> https://code.gnucash.org/wiki/Uninstall_Gnucash_Ubuntu.
> You need to be fairly careful uninstalling manually it is the method of last
> resort.
>
> Don't delete your desktop icons/shortcuts. You may need to edit them and change
> the path to the gnucash executable depending on how and where you install it but
> you should be able to change the path to the gnucash executable and leave the
> rest of the instruction for the file to open unchanged,
>
> Possibly the only way to get 4.9 installed is to build it from source or to use
> flathub.
>
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building_On_Linux
>
> The main problem is ensuring all the dependencies and header files for them are
> installed. https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Installing_Dependencies sometimes you
> will find the library has a slightly different name and occasionally there will
> be a library which is assumed to be installed by default which may be missing.
>
> $apt-cache search <string>  is a command which can be used to locate the
> specific library names and what is available on your OS version  <string> can be
> a substring of the library name which identifies it eg "swig" will lsit the
> swig2.0 and swig3.0 library if available.  You can generally use the most recent
> versions of most libraries unless the use of a specific version is identified in
> the README.dependencies file in the downloaded source files.  (I haven't updated
> the dependency list since V3 so substitute the version number listed in the
> README.dependencies file if it is different. I used to do that after I upgraded
> to a new Linux MInt version but their version upgrade is now so good I have
> never had to completely reinstall the OS since Linux Mint 19.1 so I have never
> had to reinstall all the dpendencies
>
> When you run the cmake command  in the build directoryit will generally stop
> with an error message if a dependency is missing. The easiest procedure is to
> load the depnendency that was missing and then rerun the cmake command until it
> completes without error. Once that is done youcan run the build commands and the
> install commands.
>
> Once you get it built successfully for the first time it is usually a piece of
> [...]

Near as I remember I installed 4.2 via sickly life ppa as that was the
only way I could.  4.8 was via Flathub.  Per your recommendations I am
going to try to uninstall both versions, if I can.

As far as building from source, I found the documentation links to be
woefully outdated for version 4.9.  I would like to build in the /opt
directory so is available to all users.

I vaguely remember a post about not pulling source from, I want to say
git-hub.

And due to having a power supply in my server literally exploding at my
feet while the server was up, there was a hiccup in Ubuntu causing the
loss of a few files. My desktop links were among them.  I think I
managed to recover/restore everything else (recommendations on backup
software would be welcome as well).  If you've never had a power supply
explode while you are sitting next to it, then you are in for one
adrenaline pumping experience. Thankfully it did not seem to do any
damage to the motherboard (fingers still crossed and knocking on wood).

--
--JEffrey Black M.B.A.