[GNC] difficulties with managing accounts with lots of split transactions

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Tue Dec 28 17:56:15 EST 2021

On 12/28/2021 5:39 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> Personally I use #2 as Transaction Journal & Double Line mode 24/7.
> The always visible detail doesn't bother me and I generally like to
> have it instantly available without having to change modes, but I
> understand mileage varies.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

And of course those of us who learned bookkeeping in the old pen and ink
on paper days find this perfectly familiar. We first entered a
transaction in the "journal" and then later posted it to the affected
"ledger" accounts.

So if you use #2 you can think of gnucash as if it were old fashioned
bookkeeping EXCEPT that posting is automatic and free from error
(transcription errors during posting were the bane of every bookkeeper
in those days). It is possible that those new to gnucash but familiar
with the old "first enter into the journal" might actually have a
shorter learning curve using #2.

Michael D Novack