[GNC] Reverse all transactions

Jim DeLaHunt list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Fri Feb 12 00:45:39 EST 2021

On 2021-02-11 12:26, Anton Gladky wrote:

> …all entries in "Expenses" are in "Rebate" column,
> and all entries in "Income" are in "Charge" column.
>
> So I believe all of them need to be reversed.

Anton, one option you have is to go through each transaction in the
register, by hand, and reverse each split of each transaction by putting
a "-" character in front of the amount.

When GnuCash save as an expense split which has a negative number in the
"Rebate" column, it moves that number to the "Expense" column and makes
it positive. The mathematical result is the same.

Any time you have a lot of similar changes to make, there is a choice
between spending effort on making each change directly by hand, and
spending time and effort to come up with some kind of automation which
drives the down cost of each change.  I find that I love trying to come
up with the automation, but that often I spend longer on that than I can
justify by amortising it over the reduced cost of each change. There's a
lovely cartoon about this: <https://xkcd.com/1205/
<https://xkcd.com/1205/>> "Is It Worth the Time?"

Perhaps this trick of putting in a "-" character might be a fast enough
direct change that it works for you.  Good luck,

     —Jim DeLaHunt