[GNC] Asset vs Equity accounts? (Stan Brown)

gnu Gord gnucashgord at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 18:35:33 EST 2021

Thank you very much to all that replied. There are, obviously, a lot of
people out there with a much deeper understanding of this than I currently
have (or probably ever will) and I thank you for sharing your knowledge and
experience.
I am slowly getting a handle on the overall concepts and believe the point
here is to 'account' for all movement of funds. In a perfect world, every
transaction would have a source and a destination (my terminology) and
every account would start at zero but if we start with something we need to
record where it came from so we can use 'opening balance' in Equity. I'm
not completely sure if this is all correct (or close to correct) but it's
kind of the way I understand it so far...

I believe for my purposes, now, I will record only 'opening balances' in
the Equity account. That should get me by until I realize it's completely
wrong. ;)

Thanks again.