[GNC] Expense Over Time report

D. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 20 09:03:20 EST 2021

Geoff,

That was an excellent answer, and explains clearly a big reason why users should strive to limit their transactions to leaf nodes in the account hierarchy. (My own books include numerous violations of this premise, BTW) Gnucash has always allowed users to put transactions in intermediate level accounts, which some in the community have felt was Not Good, although I've been a little more equivocal about it. I'm not sure, but there may be an outstanding bug request on the behavior.

I *do* think Gord's final question is an interesting one. It might be useful to conduct some tests to see the interaction between account selection and level setting in the various reports that use that method of grouping, and then update the docs with information.

Best,
David T.