[GNC] Single User two Geographically Separate Computers

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sat Feb 20 23:26:13 EST 2021

Peter
This works fine within the limitations of the particular offline storage
system you use. I currently have a number of my GnuCash files for personal
finances stored in a folder and subfolders in my Dropbox account which I can
currently access from any of my desktop, and two mobile laptops.

I previously also had more devices synced until recent changes in Dropbox
policy restricted the number of devices to 3 on  a free account. I have
accessed them while travelling within Australia and internationally with no
problems. Dropbox syncs Dropbox folders on each device to the Dropbox server
and each other. Changes made on one computer usually appear on the others
within minutes unless Dropbox has a server outage.

This serves as aform of offsite backup of my financial records to some
extent although I do use other backup strategies to a NAS and another
offsite storage system periodically.  I also copy the GnuCash files to a
location on my hard disk on my backuponce a week using a cron job(Linux) and
this location is included in my usual backup strategy. I could do this  more
frequently as necessary depending on workflow.  My desktop and laptop are
synced at least daily as well. You have to be able to live within the
limitations of the storage provided in a free account unless you are
prepared to pay for additional storage but other wise it works well.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens