[GNC] Minor issue with invoice layout

Howard M. Fried cursorsci at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 11:13:04 EST 2021

> Message: 1 > Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 12:02:06 -0600 (CST)
> From: Ajnkns <theblackartsstudio at gmail.com>
> To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Subject: Re: [GNC] Minor issue with invoice layout
>
> "I upgraded Gnucash from ver 3.2 to 4.4 (Mac OS 10.15).  My custom
> invoice layout changed.  Particularly, the Client information, which was
> flush with the left margin, is now moved much toward the center."
>
> I am having the same problem. I've tried editing the CSS and can move the
> client table back to the left with a margin left negative number value, but
> that moves it to a set position which may end up misaligned from the grid
> below when it is printed.
>
> By exporting the report and opening it in a web browser I was able to figure
> out what needs to be changed to make it auto align to the left, but it isn't
> something that can be changed from the CSS style editor section under the
> Layout tab.
>
> Have you had any luck figuring this out?
>
> I also used to be able to have the invoice # set to be large bold text but I
> can't figure out how to change that in this new version either.
>
> The main thing I use Gnucash for is invoicing...it's pretty frustrating that
> I can't get it looking as good as I had it before. It really looks very
> weird having the customers information indented 1/4 of the way toward center
> while the invoice # above it is aligned all the way to the left.

To move the various components of the invoice, you have to play with the
Row 1 Left, Row 1 Right, etc drop down selections in the Option->Layout
section.  For example, "Their details" corresponds to the Client
information.  Eventually, I got all the various bits on the desired
sides and in the desired top-to-bottom order, including my logo, and
everything was flush with both margins.

Even though everything looked OK on the screen, when I printed the
invoice (or saved to PDF), the margins were extremely small in width,
and the document looked terrible.  The solution for setting the margins
is as follows:  In the Layout section, add this code to the CSS

body {margin-top: 1cm;
margin-left: 1.5cm;
margin-right: 2cm
margin-bottom: 1cm}

I tried other CSS code snippets that accept margin information, but only
"body" worked. I think one can use px and even inch in place of cm.  I
wasn't worried about a bottom margin; thus, I omitted that line.  Note
that, for an unknown reason, to get the invoice centered on the page, I
had to use different values for the left and right margins.

Cheers,
Howard