[GNC] entry point error after recent automatic windows 10 update

nvsoar nvsoar at charter.net
Sun Feb 28 13:27:12 EST 2021

On 02/28/21 09:23, John Ralls wrote:

>> On Feb 25, 2021, at 2:46 PM, pholck <pholck.basura at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> DIrectly following latest automatic update of Windows 10, I have the exact
>> same error pop up (I am using gnucash 4.4). Fortunately in my case, after I
>> click "OK" to the "Entry Point Not Found" error, and then reclick about 10
>> times, GnuCash starts up for me (apparently despite the missing
>> libgncmod-app-utils.dll). I have not give a full test that it is running
>> properly, but so far no issues.
>>
>> If anyone has any fixes for this issue (as I am concerned that at some point
>> multiple clicking of the OK button will cease to work for me) do let me
>> know!
>>
>> At any rate, given Laurel's issues, I think it's pretty certain this error
>> is a result of something updating Windows 10 causes...
> libgncmod-app-utils.dll was renamed to libgnc-app-utils.dll in GnuCash 4.x so if something is trying to link it it's a leftover from GnuCash 3.x or earlier. It seems unlikely that Windows updates would have anything to do with it.
>
> As Geert mentioned back in November, the uninstaller doesn't always get everything. That may be because its manifest is incomplete or because the file in question is left over from a previous installation whose uninstaller has been removed.
>
> I just checked the registry and user directory on my Windows VM for mentions of libgnc-app-utils or libgncmod-app-utils and found nothing, so I think that both you and Ms. Hargis must have artifacts from previous installations on your system. Please try the following:
>
> Uninstall GnuCash using Apps and Features (right-click on the start icon, it's the first item in the menu).
> Open Windows File Explorer and navigate to Local Disk (C:) > Program Files (x86). Delete the gnucash directory if there is one.
> If you have ever installed GnuCash to some other location check that as well and make sure that the gnucash directory is deleted. If you're not sure about that use Windows File Explorers search to search all disks for libgnc*.dll. Delete any that you find.
> Empty the trash.
> Install GnuCash 4.4.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls
FWIW - I have found that the free version of Revo Uninstaller does a
good job of removing a windows program.  In addition, take a look at
CCleaner as well for further clean up.  My experience with these free
versions has been trouble free.  That said, there can be no guarantees
when things get all twisted up.  A choice for finding files on Windows
is a free program called Everything.  I have no connection to any of
these programs.  nvsoar