[GNC] Expense accrual

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Jan 5 15:58:41 EST 2021

Caveat, this is *not* accounting advice - if you have any questions,
seek the assistance of a local CPA. This is just how I do these
transactions based on an Accounting 101 textbook:

I think your #2 is similar to my method.

I too pay insurance in late December for the following 6 months. (and
again in June) I do use an invoice, but you don't have to.

The initial transaction is a payment balanced against a pre-paid asset
account.

Then I set up a Scheduled Transaction (SX) to fire on the same day of
the month (26th in my case) which is a credit against that pre-paid
asset (thus decreasing it) and a debit to an Insurance expense account.
(Auto in my case) After the 6 months, I have 'used' the pre-paid asset
and spread the expense out properly.

The only wiggle I've found with this approach, is unlike other normal
invoices, I can't post this one till I pay it, because until it is paid,
it technically isn't a pre-paid expense, but this non-posted state,
means I don't get the benefit of a Bills Due Reminder. I suppose I could
employ an additional holding account, but I don't find the effort worth
the payoff for this one invoice that is due twice per year. If you are
doing manual transactions, none of that is a concern anyway.

Note, 'accruals' aren't *missing* in GnuCash, you just have to do them
manually. (or dealing with issues like pre-paid expenses, depreciation,
etc.) I suppose the Business Features could be 'smarter' in this regard,
allowing you to setup the SX at the same time, but the extra clicks
really aren't that much trouble and some things like insurance are a
set-and-almost-forget sort of effort. (since the premium floats a bit, I
have to make minor adjustments to the SX template every 6 months) What I
like about GnuCash is it doesn't hide the details from you like some
other apps. In fact, it requires you to get a grasp of basic accounting,
which turns out not to be as mysterious as some might think.

Regards,
Adrien