[GNC] Best way to upgrade from an old version (2.6.14) to current

D. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 8 12:28:12 EST 2021

Welcome back!

Let me start with the last point first: in my experience, Gnucash's developer team is deeply committed to compatibility, and works to ensure that upgrades preserve ALL previous data. Furthermore, the default data storage is XML, which is text that is human readable, and fully transparent to the end user (I'll add the caveat here that for efficiency's sake, the file is usually stored in a compressed format, which cannot be directly read by humans, but which can be expanded and then read).

Under the circumstances, you can follow either path, but I'd probably choose to upgrade and update in place, depending on details. Arguing in favor of a fully new start in 4.4 is the simplicity of downloading that version and starting anew. Rather strongly against this, however, is the fact that you have already imported most of your history into the older version--a process that is usually somewhat painful.

Under the alternative, you'd update the software, confirm your existing data, and then import new transactions from Quicken. This would allow you to build off the existing data set, perhaps quickly.

If you follow the upgrade path, the recommended method is to:
1) Make a backup of your data file.
2) Upgrade to 2.16.21, open your file and perform a check & repair on the entire file.
3) Upgrade to 3.11, open your file and perform a check & repair on the entire file.
4) Upgrade to 4.4, open your file and perform a check & repair on the entire file.
5) Export new transactions from Quicken.
6) Import these transactions into Gnucash.
7) Perform any reconciliations in date order.
8) Relax, don't worry, have a home brew.  (This last directive might not apply to the current set of activities)

HTH,
David T.