[GNC] How is Total(period) in Account Tree intended to work for brokerage accounts?

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 14:47:59 EST 2021

David,

The total value of brokerage accounts is usually zero because that number
only represents the cash in the account.  The securities are valued
separately, usually in their share amounts.  You would need to separately
make sure that GnuCash has been updated with the value of each of those
shares in your preferred currency in order to create a report with the net
value of all the securities in each brokerage account

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 12:55 PM David Reiser via gnucash-user <
gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:

> I have a number of brokerage-like accounts (cursed with multiple TIAA
> contracts…). In most cases, the Total(period) column in the account tree
> page lists $0.00 as that total.
>
> I did a roth conversion at the end of 2020 that resulted in the money for
> the conversion being moved to the new account in 2020, but the reinvestment
> transactions took place in 2021. For that account, the total(period) lists
> the dollar-value change of that account, including the increase in mutual
> fund value since the investment transactions took place. It would really be
> nice if all the brokerage account accounts showed the total value change in
> the current accounting period. What’s different about the new account
> (seems to be set up identically to all the other brokerage parent
> accounts)? Should I be able to get the other brokerage accounts to exhibit
> the same totalling behavior?
>
> --
> Dave Reiser
> dbreiser at icloud.com