[GNC] Best way to upgrade from an old version (2.6.14) to current

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Jan 14 20:01:52 EST 2021

I think you misunderstood.

No, you should not 'update' your GnuCash installation *with your
existing GnuCash file* straight from 2.x to 4.x!

You have two paths:

1. retain your existing GnuCash file and go through the multi-step
update process outlined in this thread and in the wiki. Then when at
4.4, start incrementally importing your Quicken/Quickbooks data from
where you last left off when you imported to GnuCash. (note, you may
have edited that old data in the other app, so that might not be a good
idea)

2. ditch the (as you noted) 'stale/old' GnuCash file entirely (maybe
save a backup in case), remove GnuCash 2.x, install GnuCash 4.4, and
then start incrementally importing your Quicken/Quickbooks data - from
the beginning of your use of Intuit's software into a fresh GnuCash file.

Which one you choose depends on how much you've been using the two
side-by-side and how much you've invested in the existing GnuCash file.
I seem to recall from your original post, it was imported long ago, you
played around with it lightly, and you are just getting back to it now
to make a permanent switch. If that is the case, I would go for option
#2 as there will be no data loss and you'll get better quality imports
now with 4.4.

Regards,
Adrien