[GNC] Upgrade from portable 2.6 to 4.4

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Jan 15 23:30:35 EST 2021

> On Jan 15, 2021, at 3:24 PM, W. Michael Schoel via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> I am presently using GnuCash Portable 2.6.19 on win-10 and am attempting to upgrade to GnuCash Portable 4.4 which is already installed and with the accounts transferred from the older version. The accounts are all empty and all my attempts to transfer the entry data have failed. I am concerned that if my computer died I would loose all my GnuCAsh Data.
> assistance would be appreciated

1. Make a proper backup of your GnuCash data (and any other data that you value) to at least two separate disks, one local and one as remote as you can manage so that you can recover if your disk or computer fails or your house burns down.

2. Set up a routine so that backup happens frequently.

3. To safeguard against data corruption, keep old backups.

Now to the GnuCash issues:

Portable Apps has in the past patched GnuCash sources, so we generally don't support their port. Supported GnuCash binaries are available from links at the top of https://www.gnucash.org.

No "transfer" is needed, GnuCash is able to open files from a previous version. For absolute safety we strongly recommend that you load into the last dot release of each major series and run check and repair, then save and move to the next major. Since your' starting at 2.6.19 you should first install 3.11 and load your book(s), run check and repair, and save before trying to load them in 4.4.

Regards,
John Ralls