[GNC] Capital gains reporting - Australia

dullege at gmail.com dullege at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 02:16:55 EST 2021

I'm recently using Gnucash to record personal share trading, including
commissions, and whenever shares are sold I use scrubbing to capture capital
gains/losses in some custom Income accounts  (short term and long term).

These transactions are recording across many Asset accounts (one per
security), and in multiple currencies (as per the country/currency in which
the security is purchased).

In Australia, we need to report these realized capital gains during the
financial year (which runs to 1-Jul to 30-Jun here)  . to assist tax
preparation by an accountant, I would normally create a basic spreadsheet
where each row contains

Name of Security, Quantity of shares, Date Acquired, Date Sold,  Cost ,
Proceeds, Net Gain(or Loss)

Ideally the Cost and Proceeds should also include the commission charged (so
the Gain is net of all commissions), and the amounts converted to my local
currency (AUD).

So now I am looking for a gnucash report that might automate this process.
I was trying to use Tax Schedule Report (which I think is for US tax
preparation), which seems to pick up the gains for the date range (provided
I select the Income accounts for capital gains), but  it is missing other
details (data acquired, date sold), plus it's insisting in converting to USD
(rather than using my local currency AUD).

Alternately, I am able to generate an "Advanced Portfolio" report, which
also does include capital gains (realized and unrealized), but it is missing
the date range for the realized capital gains,  and does not seem to allow
me to filter down to a date range.

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for generating this sort of extract
for realized capital gains with details of the relevant dates the asset was
bought and sold.

Thanks.

Bill