[GNC] Where does gnucash put the lock file on Linux?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed Jan 20 13:21:04 EST 2021

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 12:03:48PM -0600, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> On 1/20/21 8:24 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 09:04:52AM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > > NB: there is no need to start over every year; GnuCash hapily accounts for
> > > multiple years of data and reports know how to handle that.
> > >
> > That might make sense for me, I'm not quite sure.  It's not a very
> > busy system so I can go for a month and see if I can then generate
> > what the auditor requires for 2020.  If it all goes wrong I can undo a
> > month (I have daily incremental backups).
>
> This was my first thought when I read your original post. Unlike other
> accounting packages, GnuCash does not require that you start each
> year/period with a fresh book, or that you 'close' books. But of course, you
> can if you want to.
>
> Using separate books removes the ability to run reports across book
> boundaries or for multiple books without employing a spreadsheet and lots of
> work. GnuCash can run reports for any date range you need, even across
> period/yearly boundaries.
>
> If you find you need to 'undo a month', I suggest making a backup as of your
> end of year to return to if needed. Then if you have to pull that trigger,
> you can export transactions for the date range after that end of year, and
> import them into a fresh book.

Yes, making a backup now before starting entry of 2021 transactions
makes sense.  My incremental backups should provide this, just get the
gnucash file for 31/12/2021 but having an explicit copy as well would
be a good idea.

The start and finish date settings for reports probably provide as
much 'separation' as I need for annual reports to the auditor.  It's
all cash accounting so there's no difficulty with debts or liabilities
over the year end.

Thanks all.  I'll go with just carrying on ever the year end and see
if it all works OK.

--
Chris Green