[GNC] GnuCash on macOS Big Sur "Finance::Quote isn't installed properly"

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Sat Jan 23 01:19:30 EST 2021

On 22 Jan 2021, at 20:10, John Ralls wrote:

> To answer your earlier question, no, F::Q doesn't work for me either
> on my DTK. I hadn't actually even tried to install it. It took two
> passes through sudo gnc-fq-update to get a good install so that I
> could run gnc-fq-check successfully from terminal.
> I've been sticking print statements into price-quotes.scm and
> gnc-fq-check and looking at the results. It seems that there's
> something about the final printf in gnc-fq-check that chokes the guile
> read. I haven't figured out what yet and I'm out of time for today.
>
> But you've confirmed my suspicion about having a non-Apple-supplied
> perl. That will never work with the bundle launched from Finder
> because your shell environment, which includes the path to the
> Homebrew-installed perl, isn't read when launching an app bundle from
> Finder. You may be able to get it to work from the terminal that way.

Or you can change the #! line at the front of each of the gnc-fq-* files
to point to the copy of Perl you want to use.  A kludge, but it works,
at least for me.  I'm still running an older version of MacOS on an
Intel Mac so I don't have the same issues you've seen.  I do, however,
use a non-stander installation of Perl.

Mike